I finally considered myself worthy to post on Terragenesis, a site I have been following since the late 90ies and which has provided me with much inspiration and awe. And what better way to start my first post than with a project?
There are some lovely wargaming buildings around. One of my favorites are the Conflix houses. Pretty, compact and not unreasonably priced they are very attractive. However, a village will still set you back a few hundred Euros and they are a bit hard to come by. So I decided to try and build something similar myself.
I decided on the cheapest of materials available to me. Foamboard (left to me in huge quantities by the marketing department of a past employer), coffee stirrers, packing netting and cornflakes packaging. I was aiming for simple, well-looking buildings without much in the way of special functions, so no interiors, detachable roofs or opening doors.
The parts were drawn and cut. Sizes were somewhat estimated. Use really sharp knives and a metal ruler to cut foamboard and discard the knife as soon as the tearing begins.
The parts were glued together with a hot glue gun. I drew the timber scheme on the house with a permanent marker and then glued the timbering in place with PVA glue. Timbers were made from coffee stirrers and cut with a pair of pliers for speed. Sawing and sanding would of course produce a better result, but I was aiming for simple and fast.
The windows were made from pieces of netting, glued underneath the window sills. Rooftiles were cut from an old cornflakes pack and glued separately on the roof. Not very fast I hear you think, but it is the best way to produce the battered look of old battered houses.
The chimney is simply cut from a piece of styrofoam. Be sure to coat it with PVA Glue before spray-coating it or it will melt completely.
The entire house was then primed black and painted with acrylics. I avoided details that would give away the scale, like a door post sign or a rain barrel, so the house would work equally well in 20mm and 28mm scale. This was the result:
I made some variations on the theme to produce, as my son's girlfriend calls it, my "Tim Burton village".