[subscribe]
Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki

Simple Medieval Wargaming Buildings

I finally considered myself worthy Wink to post on Terragenesis, a site I have been following since the late 90ies and which has provided me with much inspiration and awe. And what better way to start my first post than with a project?

My Tim Burton village

There are some lovely wargaming buildings around. One of my favorites are the Conflix houses. Pretty, compact and not unreasonably priced they are very attractive. However, a village will still set you back a few hundred Euros and they are a bit hard to come by. So I decided to try and build something similar myself.

I decided on the cheapest of materials available to me. Foamboard (left to me in huge quantities by the marketing department of a past employer), coffee stirrers, packing netting and cornflakes packaging. I was aiming for simple, well-looking buildings without much in the way of special functions, so no interiors, detachable roofs or opening doors.

Raw Materials

Construction #1

The parts were drawn and cut. Sizes were somewhat estimated. Use really sharp knives and a metal ruler to cut foamboard and discard the knife as soon as the tearing begins.

Construction #2

Construction #3

The parts were glued together with a hot glue gun. I drew the timber scheme on the house with a permanent marker and then glued the timbering in place with PVA glue. Timbers were made from coffee stirrers and cut with a pair of pliers for speed. Sawing and sanding would of course produce a better result, but I was aiming for simple and fast.

Construction #3

The windows were made from pieces of netting, glued underneath the window sills. Rooftiles were cut from an old cornflakes pack and glued separately on the roof. Not very fast I hear you think, but it is the best way to produce the battered look of old battered houses.

The chimney is simply cut from a piece of styrofoam. Be sure to coat it with PVA Glue before spray-coating it or it will melt completely.

Construction #4

Construction #5

The entire house was then primed black and painted with acrylics. I avoided details that would give away the scale, like a door post sign or a rain barrel, so the house would work equally well in 20mm and 28mm scale. This was the result:

Finished Medieval Building

Finished Medieval Building

I made some variations on the theme to produce, as my son's girlfriend calls it, my "Tim Burton village".

My Tim Burton village

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki